Financial Assistance Guidelines
Paws 4 A Cure is a non profit organization dedicated to helping families that are in need of non-routine veterinary financial assistance for their dog or cat.
Paws 4 A Cure is accepting applications from individuals and families. Unfortunately, at this time Paws 4 A Cure is not accepting applications from rescue groups or shelters. Paws 4 A Cure is a small non profit organization, all of our funding is from individual donations.
Requests for financial assistance received via email, US mail or through the Contact Us page are not accepted.
Steps to the application process:
- Read the guidelines and policies thoroughly.
- Complete the online application.
- Add firstname.lastname@example.org into your email address book.
- You will receive an email acknowledgement within 24 hours of receipt of your application for financial assistance.
- You will need to provide the treating veterinarian with the veterinary documentation and forms or direct them to the Veterinary Professionals page.
- You will email or fax your required documents to Paws 4 A Cure.
Once all of the required documentation are received by you and the treating veterinarian, Paws 4 A Cure will start the application review.
If the required documentation is not received within 30 days of the initial online application, your application will move from pending status to closed status and you will have to reapply for assistance.
If you are seeking financial assistance, please carefully read the guidelines before applying:
- Paws 4 A Cure cannot assist with charges incurred prior to approval of application and receipt by the veterinarian of the Acceptance Letter;
- Paws 4 A Cure cannot pay for treatment in advance;
- Paws 4 A Cure cannot pay a deposit;
- Paws 4 A Cure cannot reimburse the applicant for payments made to the veterinarian;
- Paws 4 A Cure cannot pay on an invoice showing no balance due;
The applicant must supply a photo of the dog/cat and their story for a fundraising page to be created by Paws 4 A Cure. If not received, Paws 4 A Cure is unable to fundraise for the applicant’s dog or cat.
- Paws 4 A Cure will send a check via USPS within 30 days following receipt of an itemized invoice faxed by the veterinarian;
- Paws 4 A Cure will pay only up to the invoice balance due;
- Paws 4 A Cure will only make payment to a veterinarian, clinic or hospital. Funds are never disbursed to an applicant;
- Paws 4 A Cure does not provide financial assistance for vaccinations, spaying/neutering or euthanasia;
- If a pet insurance company approves a claim for any portion of a bill for treatment that was funded by Paws 4 A Cure, such reimbursement must be submitted to Paws 4 A Cure;
* If your treating veterinarian does not accept CareCredit, please disregard this section of the application process.
Before Paws 4 A Cure can review your application, you are required to apply to CareCredit and provide the approval, denial or current CareCredit statement.
If you are accepted through CareCredit, you are required to use that balance before Paws 4 A Cure can assist with financial assistance.
Please check with your
veterinarian to make sure they accept payment from CareCredit. You may apply
for CareCredit online via their website at http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/.
“CareCredit offers Special Financing and low monthly payment options, no up-front costs, and no pre-payment penalties so you can keep your pet healthy and happy”. – quoted from the CareCredit website
Please keep in mind, Paws 4 A Cure can only assist qualified applicants and assistance is only provided with non-routine veterinary care. This means that Paws 4 A Cure does not provide assistance for spaying/neutering, vaccinations, routine office visits or euthanasia.
You do NOT qualify for financial assistance through Paws 4 A Cure under any of the following circumstances:
- You are not a resident of the United States of America;
- Your annual household income is above 300% of the Federal Poverty Level
- You do not provide Paws 4 A Cure with all the required documents;
- You have been approved for the entire amount needed by CareCredit;
- Your veterinarian will not accept payment from Paws 4 A Cure;
- Your pet is being held at the veterinary office until payment is made;
- You are seeking reimbursement for a paid bill;
- You are seeking payment for an outstanding bill;
- Your veterinarian has agreed to a payment plan with you;
- You have received financial assistance from Paws 4 A Cure in the past. (exceptions are on a case by case basis)
- You are a breeder or rescue group;
- Your pet requires testing to determine a diagnosis;
- You are seeking assistance for elective surgery and/or surgery that is not essential for the survival of the pet;
- You cannot prove hardship;
- You cannot prove ownership of the dog or cat.
Please remember that Paws 4 A Cure cannot accept your application without the completion of all the necessary documents and forms.
* You are required to provide all documentation for every member of your household.
The following documents are required for all members of your household before your application can be reviewed.
- Copy of your license or ID;
- Last pay stub;
- All pages of your latest federal tax return for all members of your household;
- Copies of your last two bank statements for all members of your household from all of your bank accounts;
- If you are unemployed: a copy of your SSI or SSDI benefit letter or, proof of any federal or state assistance or, unemployment benefits letter or, W2 or 1099 from employer for all members of your household;
- Copy of your approval or denial letter from CareCredit;
- Your most recent CareCredit statement (if applicable);
- Letter of hardship;
- A copy of the front and back of your pet’s insurance card (if applicable);
- Veterinarian DX/Treatment Form and Payment Policies (you must provide to the treating veterinarian or direct them to the Veterinary Professionals page. To be completed by the veterinarian office only, do not write on this form);
- Estimate of service from the treating veterinarian.
For your protection – before sending any documents to Paws 4 A Cure, please black out all occurrences of account numbers and/or social security numbers.
- Veterinary DX/Treatment form
- Estimate of service
- Office notes
- W9 (if your application for financial assistance is approved)
Your completed documentation can be sent either by you or by your veterinarian, using one of the following methods:
- Via fax (866) 799-5166
- Scanned as a pdf and emailed to email@example.com
- Do not send your documentation as a jpg or any image file other than for your ID. Click the link to download a free pdf creator. http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
- Or mailed to:
Paws 4 A Cure
P.O. Box 1821
Wakefield, MA 01880
Paws 4 A Cure is unable to process your application without the treating veterinarian's documents and estimate of service. You are required to provide the treating veterinarian with the documentation or direct them to the Veterinary Professionals page.
Please scan your documents as a pdf and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to (866) 799-5166.
Do not send an email, you must complete the online application. Paws 4 A Cure does not accept email inquiries for financial assistance.
* All emails are responded to once the online application is received. Please add email@example.com into your email address book. If you do not see an email response after you submit in your application, please check your spam folder.
Please be advised that the approval process can take up to 5 business days after all documentation is received.